4.05.2009

Mos Def



Gr! Sorry. Didn't know it would do that. . . anyhow, I'll leave this info anyway:

Scroll all the way to about 9:00 to see him school Bill. It's just a few small comments, and Bill pretty much ignores him, but his thoughts are powerful and he exposes Bill's ignorance to the realities of the poor and working poor of this country. He makes another fine point at about 1:55 on nuclear disarmament and American hypocrisy, that, again, no one wants to acknowledge. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same point my mother has been making all my life (right, Mom?), and I'm inclined to think it's a pretty damn sensible one.

Rushdie and Hitchens are pretty bourgy the whole way through (yeah, I am calling someone else bourgy a week after I created a unapologetic consumerism tag and wrote about local organic coffee). They want to pretend that Mos isn't listening when in reality they don't want to hear his straightforward and honest thoughts that don't dance around the truth or complicate things in the irritating manner in which they prefer to engage in discussion. Rushdie has some nerve telling anyone how it is after accepting knighthood from a colonial power the likes of which are unparalleled except, maybe, by the United States.

4 comments:

Ms. X said...

Dammit! The video got taken down!

I really wanted to see that because I hate, hate, HATE Bill Maher.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Un-Hitchens did you get to see his Looney Brit self at the old school ? Rushdie must have intel as good as Osama's the way he's still upright and taking in air. I thought the fatwa on him was for the rest of his days ? I guess the jihadis realized only upper widdle class whites read Rushdie anyway so it wasn'ty like there was a huge well for him tp poison...On vacay day 3, a winter storm warning in full swing...

teach people not books said...

x--i want to hear all of the reasons why you hate him next time we get together. i actually kinda like him, but he's definitely not as smart as he likes to think.

r/m--no, i decided not to go. i was too tired and was, in retrospect, fighting whatever i failed to ward off that i now have. winter storm?! in april?! that's the worst kind.

Ms. X said...

I just think he's a bitter misogynist, and no amount of liberalism can make up for that kind of backwards retardation.